Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sucharita Sarkar had tagged me.



Right now I am reading a play called Noises Off by Michael Frayn.



Here are the 6-7-8th lines from page 123:

Garry starts downstairs to
attack
Frederick. But he is
still hobbled and in any case . . .




It is farce within a farce. As a play it is excellent, but I must mention that it is a bit of a difficult read. Primarily because it is not meant for reading but for performance. But that is a problem with all plays (not Shavian ones since he kept the reader as well the viewer in mind). The play within the play, the same character playing another one in the play within the play becomes a bit confusing at times. I am sure you understand that from my sentence. The lines are from a bit of stage direction. I would ask all those who are truly interested in theatre to read it, but for the uninitiated the movie (starring Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve et al) is a much more enjoyable bet.



I am tagging, for my severe friendly-blogger crisis, the following. Please excuse me if this is the umpteenth tag that you have had.



Peter Rozovsky

Jyotsana

Mystic Margarita

Sayani

Arindam



Thanks guys. If there are any play-readers around, it sure would be nice to know them.

8 comments:

Mystic Margarita said...

I have already done this tag - http://mysticmargarita.blogspot.com/2008/06/booked-for-moment-tag-i-couldnt-refuse.html
Thanks for tagging me - it was an interesting tag to do :)

Peter Rozovsky said...

This is not the umpteenth time I have been tagged with this meme, just the second. (The first time was April 22, which shows that this meme has a bit of life to it.) It's painless as memes go, since most of us have a book readily at hand. Besides, the first time went well. I liked the page 123 sentences and the book that contained them so much that I wound doing a stimulating interview with the author, or at least I found it so.

And now I shall shut up and open the book. I may have to think hard for a few days to come up with five people who have not been tagged with this one already.

Thanks for thinking of me. I am reading a book I enjoy, so this should be fun.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

jyotsana said...

hullo siddhubaba, thnx for mentioning me as one of ur friends...

Sayani said...

SO You are now victim of my tag :)

that is because you have an unique perception and i loved all the post by you
right now am reading "3 mistakes of my life" by chetan bhagat !!!

Mystic Margarita said...

I will try and take the tag up once more - I love books and it's difficult to resist the temptation where books are concerned. :)

Sucharita Sarkar said...

suitably erudite choice of book. but this tag is becoming like Yeats's gyres, turning and re-turning on itself. Should we leap out of the loop or get sucked in?

Sayani said...

so thats a book i must read .....

Peter Rozovsky said...

My book was The Etruscan Bull by Frank Gruber. Happily, Page 123 begins with a new sentence, which means no worrying over whether a sentence that spills over onto a second page is the last sentence of Page 122 or the first sentence of Page 123.

Sentences 6, 7, 8, Page 123 of this enjoyable, humorous, action- and history-packed thriller are:

"A gun in Carmela's fist roared and a bullet kicked some splinters from the wall only inches from Logan.

"Logan fired once at the car itself, shifted to cover Rocco again. `Stop him, Rocco, or you get it — "


Shooting is usually good for a dose of excitement, and the sentence's ending in a dash, breaking off before any of you find out what happens, is a nice touch. If only the Carmela in question were a woman! That might have nudged the passage into the Page 123 Hall of Fame.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

 
Custom Search